August 10, 2012

Cacti in New York

In Rockefeller Center there is an Anthropology Store, and it is absolutely beautiful! It's like a painting everywhere you look. I was there a month ago when they had decorated the place with paper mache cacti. Oh, how I wanted them for my very own!

So, I decided to try to make them. That didn't work out so well.

Last week I went into the Anthropology Store again just to enjoy the decor, and the cacti were gone! I asked an employee about them, and she said, "Oh! They're right over here." I learned that this particular store has its own in-house design team of 12 artists who come to work and make art for displays every day, and they sometimes sell them when they're done.

Here are the ones I brought home. They were filled with sand, so I barely made it without collapsing. (Yes, I took the subway.) I got lots of strange looks and some smiles. . . a rare thing in the subway. If you're wondering, $20 each! They are BIG, the largest one is 3 feet tall.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, those are VERY realistic! I'm happy to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! But when you get close, you see the newspaper through the paint and it makes them that much more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete